Another item in my travel list is Borawan, Quezon. It is said to have the fine sand of Boracay and the rock formations of Palawan. I only dread the long bus ride going there, similar with Cagbalete, Quezon. But, as always, it’s worth the 4 to 6 hours of sitting in a bus full of excitement and anticipation.
Going to Borawan usually entails island hopping to Puting Buhangin and Dampalitan islands as well. I was more concerned with the logistics – which island should we go to first and on which island should we stay overnight? I read several blog posts, specifically those posted recently but there were only a handful under 2015. I wanted to be prepared coz I have the impression that basic necessities might not be as easily available there. One thing’s for sure – we’re spending the night at Dampalitan as sunset is said to be best viewed there (and indeed it was!).
How to go There:
1. From Kamuning, take (JAC Liner) bus to Lucena and alight at Lucena Grand Terminal (took us 3 hours but average travel time is around 5 hours; Php218/person).
2. Take bus going to Padre Burgos or Unisan (takes 1 1/2 hours; Php40/person).
3. From Padre Burgos (alight at QCRB Bank), take trike going to Bgy. Basiao then you can rent a boat from there. 🙂
Boat rental for Borawan-Puting Buhangin-Dampalitan is fixed at Php1800.
What to Bring:
1. Cooking utensils: Going through this trip is DIY at it’s finest. You really have to do everything by yourself. You may have the option of asking the locals to cook for you but let them know ahead of time and, of course, for a price.
2. Sleeping gears: Bringing your own tent is cost-efficient but if you go for comfort, you could always rent a nipa hut (no air conditioned rooms there yet).
3. Toiletries: Just bring the usual – tissue paper, shampoo, soap, etc. but you could also buy them there.
If you want a cost-efficient trip, here are some tips:
1. Bring your own tent. A hut costs Php850-1000. Pitching a tent costs Php200 only.
2. Bring as much food as you can. I know you don’t wanna travel with all those packed food but bring just enough that you can carry (ex: hotdog, marinated pork, etc). We bought cooked rice (Php50) at Puting Buhangin and it was good for lunch and dinner.
3. Drinking water may be bought at Bgy. Basiao (just ask the boatman). Water for bathing, on the other hand, may be bought at the island either by container (Php50) or by drum (Php5oo).
4. Puting Buhangin is the farthest of the 3 islands from Bgy. Basiao. You might want to go there first then pass by Borawan or Dampalitan, wherever you decide to stay the night.
5. The more the merrier (the cheaper).
Total Expenses: Php2,116 (if only 2 of you are travelling)
|Activity||Amount/person||Estimated travel time|
|Bus going to Lucena (From EDSA Kamuning)||218||3 hours|
|Bus going to Padre Burgos||40||1.5 hours|
|Tent Pitch Fee||100|
|Table Rental Fee||150|
|Water for bathing||100|
|Trike to Padre Burgos||10|
|Van to Grand Terminal||60|
|Bus to Kamias||218|